Vegetables and fruits are a great way to get your daily dose of nutrients and vitamins. They taste great too! But, as you probably know, they can be dirty creatures. That is why it is essential to know how to clean them optimally.
That’s why we have developed this comprehensive guide on adequately cleaning them.
How to Clean Veggies and Fruits – step by step
It’s essential to clean Veggies and Fruits before eating them because dirty produce can transfer dirt and bacteria to your body. The best way to do this is by washing them in cool water.
- Rinse the vegetable or fruit under running water.
- If it is a hard vegetable or fruit, scrub with a brush under running water.
- If it is a soft vegetable or fruit, gently rub with your fingers under running water to remove any dirt from the outer surface of the produce.
- Rinse thoroughly in cold water to remove all traces of dirt, grime and bacteria from the product and your hands.
tips for keeping your produce fresh
Many of us face the challenge of keeping our produce fresh for extended periods. The reason why our produce goes bad so quickly is the process called respiration. This process causes oxygen to enter the fruit and create an environment where bacteria can grow and spoil our produce.
There are a few ways to help keep your produce fresh for a more extended time:
- keep your produce fresh by buying smaller amounts at a time. This will reduce the amount of oxygen entering the fruit and slow down or even stop respiration.
- Keep your produce fresh for extended periods by washing it before storing it in the fridge or freezer. This will remove any bacteria on the surface of your product, which could cause it to go bad faster.